October 23, 2006

Doctrine's Outworking: Imminency of Christ's Return teaches Purity

Continuing somewhat on the theme of my last post, the our understanding of "doctrine" (Bible teaching) shows itself in our lifestyles, there is a "practical outworking" of those things that grind between the gears in our heads.At the church that I attend the people really believe that Jesus could come back at any time and take us, children of God, to be with God in Heaven. Thus, when they make the announcements for church activities they often say "We plan our meetings in the will of the Lord. If Jesus doesn't come back this week, these are the meetings we plan to have...". I have been taught the imminency of Christ's return, but it hasn't really sunken in. If I really set my mind on that truth, I would live more purely, knowing that I might see Christ tonight, tomorrow, or the next day. If I believe it, I will seek be pure...in a world cloaked in filth.
As the apostle John, inspired by the Spirit, put it in 1 Jn 3:2-3, "Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when he appears,we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. Everyone who has this hope in him purifies himself, just as he is pure."
Lord, I want the truth of your anytime-return to be more than information in a filing cabinet in my head. I want it to shine out of my eyes, I want it to pour through my lips, I want it to touch others through my hands. I want it to be real to me, so that I live it.

No comments:

Post a Comment