main menu

February 17, 2007

Psalm 115 meets 2 Kings 19

I've been slowing working through Psalm 115 and finding Scriptures related to each of the things that the idols cannot do but the living God can do (speak, see, hear, smell, touch and walk) and last night I came across 2 Kings 19 as a record of God 'hearing'.

If Psalm 115 is the poetic version of "the living God is better than idols"
then 2 Kings 19 is a narrative version.

Psalm 115:4
"Their idols are silver and gold, the work of men’s hands."

2 Kings 19:18
"...they were not gods but the work of men's hands, wood and stone."

I almost caught my breath as I read at the end of the chapter that 185,000 Assyrians died and the king himself died as he was worshiping his idols, after the king reproached the living God. But I should not be surprised. He is the Creator, the living One.

No comments:

Post a Comment