main menu

May 04, 2007

Mad at the preacher?

Do you ever get mad at the preacher?
Do you ever (almost, secretly) hope that the conclusions he draws in his message are not true?

If you never get angry at the preacher, I guess that either
a) you just wouldn't describe it as mad. Heavy-hearted? Perturbed? Saddened? Annoyed?
b) your preacher's sermons are more milky than meaty, or
c) you've already submitted to the Lord in all those areas which the preacher mentions.

I see that frustration with what is said from the pulpit can be good in that
a) it shows that you're listening and that there is some fire in you and
b) it should pull you into God's Word to see for yourself if what the preacher said is Biblical.

I am not saying that it is good if your heart is rebelling against God's authority and written Word. Nor am I saying that it is good if a preacher preaches false doctrine. But on those areas where the Scripture doesn't seem to be extremely straightforward, is it not better that our hearts be stirred to study the Word and pray about it, rather than sit idly by and nod in agreement with whatever the pastor spouts?

In 2004 I heard a lady speak who worked on the city streets trying to share the good news of Christ with passer-bys. Her comment was that she preferred the passer-bys who responded to their message in some way, even if it was in anger, than those whose eyes and hearts were stony and unresponsive.

In a similar way, it concerns me when we approve those who attend church meetings--even if their life choices are demonstrating an obvious lack of godly wisdom--while their hearts may be more spiritually barren than those of young people who have quit coming to church.

If I could have changed my Bible school experience, I would have liked to have had five quiet minutes or so at the end of our class periods to consider what the Lord was saying to us through His Word and to have time to apply it. It is altogether too easy to resist the tuggings of the Spirit in the mad dash back to the dorm to grab a sweater, or in the line-up for hot chocolate. I suppose the same could be said for church services and group Bible studies. Often I could use a few minutes for initial personal digestion of the bread of Life before I get up and interact with others.

"Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true."
(Acts 17:11)


"So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth."
(Revelation 3:16)

1 comment:

  1. MAN, you've made a lot of posts just since the weekend...!

    ReplyDelete