August 03, 2007

Comparisons of reactions to seeing YHWH

Isaiah - Woe is me for I am undone. I am a man of unclean lips and dwell amongst people with unclean lips and my eyes have seen the King...
Job - I hate myself! I repent in dust and ashes. Never before did I really know or understand or see You...I just knew of You.
Daniel - Over and over the text says that Daniel became weak. Face to the ground. Trembling. Speechless. Overwhelming sorrow. No breath.
Saul/Paul - Fell to the ground. His companions were speechless. He was blind for three days.
John - Fell at Son of Man's feet as if dead. Was told not to be afraid.

How Biblical is our view of God? Do we spend so long in the New Testament passages of healings and children on Jesus' lap that we forget the Old Testament passages about the same God? What sort of God do we think we serve, based on the way we interact with Him? Do we toy with Him, or fear Him? Are the songs we sing to Him appropriate, or sung with an appropriate attitude, in light of the Scriptures above? Do we really know God, or just know of Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment