September 19, 2007

Grappling with the disciplines

Seeking One Thing: Entry 4
Toast bits on my bed. A banana peel on my nightstand. Evidence of breakfast/devotions in bed. Does anyone else feel like it is an uphill battle to try to spend time with the Lord in the mornings? They say it can be a great time, but for years I've flip-flopped between late evening (or sometimes I've tried early evening) and morning devotions...though it seems ideal that I would start consistently doing the bulk of my praying and studying in the morning.

Not only do I have trouble with what time to do devotions, sometimes I just am not diligent and organized enough in my study. My focus on "what time" is less important than the quality of my study and prayer time, but one is likely influenced by the other.

What about the rest of my day, what else can I do to keep my mind in the Word and prayer? Over the years I've tried some different tactics. I've written verses on my walls, painted them on my door, stuck them on my monitor and illustrated them in my journal. In transit or while I work in the kitchen sometimes I listen to Bible teachers. I've carried a prayer list or a Bible passage on an index card. Too many verses and prayer requests seem to flee my memory, but a few things stick.

During lunch break today I pulled a verse out of my purse and took it for a walk. It went like this, "The end of all things is near. Therefore be clear minded and self controlled so that you can pray." (1 Pe 4:7) That verse was sweeter than the Caramilk I found on my walk...it was direction for my day.

I'm truly thankful for God's grace; the Christian life is not a set exchange of duties for God's favour. If it were, I would have next to no divine favour shown to me. But this is me, grappling with the disciple-like disciplines. I'd like to know how you keep prayer and Bible study as essentials in your days.

1 comment: