February 11, 2008

integrity

I don't know how many times I've read these verses, but I'm impressed all over again:
At this, the administrators and the satraps tried to find grounds for charges against Daniel in his conduct of government affairs, but they were unable to do so. They could find no corruption in him, because he was trustworthy and neither corrupt nor negligent. Finally these men said, "We will never find any basis for charges against this man Daniel unless it has something to do with the law of his God." (Daniel 6:4-5)
What a tremendous thing, for an employees only "fault" to be his or her unswerving devotion to the Lord. These verses were used today in a message about integrity and I was convicted again that I have not given 100% at my job. (Isn't it so easy to give 95% or so, compare yourself to the other employees and think you're doing a good job?)

Recently I was talking with a Christian girl that I had just met. In the course of our conversation, she told me that she was lying to her boss about something. I was taken aback to hear her so frankly admit that she was lying. She didn't even try to justify herself before me. I didn't want to come across as harsh on our first meeting, but I thought If Christians don't tell the truth to their employers, who does? How are we any different than the world? But I am sure that there are areas where the Lord is appalled at my lack of trust in Him. Do I not believe that if I seek to walk uprightly, He will take care of me?

I was encouraged last summer when my friend told me that she was quitting her job because her employer required that she be dishonest. "They think I'm crazy to quit because I don't want to lie. The pay is good." Good jobs can be really hard to come by in Brazil. Quitting her job also meant that she might have to postpone her wedding. But she set the Lord before the promise a steady paycheque. And I didn't have to change the date on her wedding invitation.

The integrity of the upright guides them, but the unfaithful are destroyed by their duplicity. (Proverbs 11:3)

I have set the LORD always before me. Because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken. (Psalm 16:8)

May our integrity be seen beyond our workplaces and in our whole lives.
Wholeness,
consistency,
reliability,
trustworthiness,
honesty,
openness...may these things mark our lives.

I will walk in my house with blameless heart. (Psalm 101:2)

4 comments:

  1. Great lessons. We will pray for you to be just that - integra!
    Re: Your friend you mention - we visited in her parents' home on Saturday and were pleased to learn that she has a teaching job in the Christian school that IMPV began! He has a promise of work at the place where he is doing another practicum, I understood. So praise the Lord - he honored them for their stand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so easy to justify our actions against those of other people. "Well I don't lie as much as ..." or "It's not a lie, I'm just stretching the truth." We forget that it isn't people we will have to answer to for our actions, but God, who is holy. He says, "My ways are not your ways and my thoughts are not your thoughts ... my ways are higher than your ways." I have to remind myself of this even in the classroom. Am I paying attention to what the teacher is saying or am I just surfing the internet? Am I making every effort not to plagiarize or am I just scooting by? Integrity is a must if we are to be a shining light for Jesus in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for your addition, Kendra. i know what you mean about in the classroom, too. Sometimes I think we think it is smooth sailing, because we don't do the "big No-no's" but there are so many small areas...and if we slide in the small areas, who are we to think that we won't give in in the big areas?

    ReplyDelete