October 19, 2012

cold stomach, meet your God

It hit me today and the pit of my stomach got cold: two weeks from tomorrow, I'll be leaving North America. To use the terminology of my earlier post, I bought an ox and I'm moving to Asia because of it.

The feeling in my stomach wasn't an "I don't want to go" kind of cold, just the "Wow, this is going to be a big change" kind of cold. The kind of cold you feel when your safety net is being pulled out from under you.

Although I feel like an international person, when I did live and travel overseas, my parents took care of most of the details of packing, cleaning, getting money in different currencies, paying for flights and finding housing. Now when I travel or move, those responsibilities are mine. It has been a journey to even get to this point.

My adult years have been spent in North America 99% of the time. Canada treated me well. I found edifying and helpful community. I found a job I enjoyed and that paid the bills. I've had a good life here. But the fear in my stomach brings me to realize that I trust in things like familiar surroundings, financial stability, friends and family to make me feel secure.

It's taking leaving my regular surroundings to expose that once again, I'm trusting in myself and things I can see instead of the unseen God.

The true God is not concerned that my geographical location might make it difficult for Him to provide for me. In fact, the idea never crossed His mind. I know, because today I read Psalm 66, which says, "By awesome deeds in righteousness You will answer us, O God of our salvation, You who are the confidence of all the ends of the earth, and of the far-off seas." 

It goes on to say that He established the mountains by His strength, is clothed with power, stills the noise of the seas and the tumult of the peoples. Doesn't sound like He'll be struggling with culture shock, financial stress or fatigue overseas. I continued on to Psalm 66, and it speaks of the whole earth worshiping Him, too, "Make a joyful shout to God, all the earth!" and "all the earth shall worship You and sing praises to You....”

Cold stomach, meet the God of the universe. The God of North America is the the God of Asia. Let Him be your confidence. He's got earth (and you) covered.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited for you Julie. What an opportunity to have your heart exposed and to have to learn what it means to truly rely on God. The comforts and security we have here can make it much too easy to turn away from Him and live life on our own in many ways. You've challenged me to think more about that.

    I'm sure both beautiful times and real challenges lie ahead - I will be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete